Friday, January 25, 2008

Disable full screen video on Dual monitor setup

I was recently trying to debug an application that hosts a windows media player control and I wanted the application to run full screen on my primary display with my Visual Studio IDE on the secondary display. Annoyingly, although the application appeared on my primary display as expected, the secondary display had a full screen video output. There appears to be nothing in the media player API to prevent this. It turns out that you need to change your driver display settings to prevent this. These settings are driver specific, for mine I needed to do:
  1. Bring up display properties from control panel
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Click Quadro NVS 120 M (Nvidia specific)
  5. Click Start NVidia control panel
  6. Click Video and Television
  7. Click Modify full screen options
  8. Set "When watching video content" to Only show it in my viewing application

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot! That one's been driving me crazy.

purplepangolin said...

You're welcome. Took me a while to find out.

Alan Buttler said...

Thanks! this has been driving me insane when developing embedded wm content.

William said...

Thanks. Me fue de mucha ayuda.

taw said...

Another vote of thanks - very intuitive, that one!

-Tim

Unknown said...

This is was super annoying! Thanks for the fix!

peakseven said...

Yes it was very annoying. Thanks for the help. I have a Quadro FX 1500M card. The process was slightly different. Under the Nvidia tab in Adanced settings, Click "Full Screen Video" on the left column. Then under the "Full screen device" title, select "Disable" instead of "Auto-select".

Russ said...

Thank you for the help. I was glad to finally get this disabled.

Mike Netzer said...

I know it's been almost 2 years since this post, but i HAD to comment. This has been driving me crazy and I never would have thought to try this solution. Thank you!